NEW! My helpful e-book has just been published.
Click to learn more!

Thriving at the Holidays Subscribe to Step Parenting with Grace by Email

Enter your email address to sign up for my mailing list to receive newsletters and other updates.


 

Monday, February 22, 2010

Life's Too Short to Stay Mad

Laundry seems to be a never-ending task at our house with six people living under the same roof. So, I decided to start washing a load of clothes early this morning and found the washer full of my stepson's clothes. My older teens are responsible for doing their own laundry but the rule is: when you start a load of clothes, finish the process - through the dryer and then to your room.

We had the same problem a few days ago. I found my stepson's clothes in the washer after he had gone out for the evening. So when I discovered a full washer again this morning, I was not happy. He was still in bed so I couldn't start laundry without waking him up or managing the clothes myself.

I could have stayed mad about it, dwelling on how many times I've addressed this problem in the past. However, that would only make for a bad start to a new week. So, I decided to discuss the incident once again, asking for his help to please abide by the house rules so we don't have to manage his laundry. He quickly apologized and left for school.

I'm constantly reminded of the need to show the Fruits of the Spirit to our children. Galatians 5:22-23 says, "The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." We are given opportunities everyday to react in kindness, gentleness, and self-control or react in impatience and anger.

I can't say I always react with love and kindness but I know it betters my relationships when I do. I also know life is too short to stay mad.

I have a dear friend who passed away last week after a short illness. Although it would appear from human eyes that his work on earth was not finished, God had a different plan.

Our days on this earth are numbered. We think we have ample chances to show love and goodness to others. But we may not. Why not make the best of every day we have left?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home